Using iscan for linux with a networked Epson

Date: 02 Jan, 2016
Posted by: admin
In: computer support|hints & tips|linux, open source & software|printer

Bookmark and Share

iscan for linux can’t find my printer (originally published 2014-02-11, updated 2017-01-02)

Epson’s iscan scanner app

Fixing the config files

iscan error dialogIt’s been a couple of years now that I’ve had iscan installed. Today I wanted to do some high-resolution scanning so I thought I’d try and get it to work as I imagine it might be the best tool to interface between my Kubuntu 13.10 GNU/Linux distro install and my Epson Stylus SX535WD [update: still using same printer-scanner-copier with Kubuntu 16.04, this method still working]. That W in the model number shows I have a wireless connectable Epson. Over wifi I have no problem printing or scanning using the default tools and with the “epkowa” drivers from Epson but attempting to use iscan (“Image Scan! for Linux”) would give an error:

“Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner’s status.”

In essence I did “sudo nano /etc/sane.d/dll.conf” and made the file there read:

# /etc/sane.d/dll.conf – Configuration file for the SANE dynamic backend loader
net
epkowa

with no other (uncommented) entries. Previously it had an epson2 entry which I think may have been confusing things.

Then I made sure that the /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf file new where on the network to find my printer. I gave the printer a fixed IP when I installed it, X.X.X.10 [use the proper network address for your printer, not this placeholder].

# epkowa.conf — sample configuration for the EPKOWA SANE backend
usb
scsi
net X.X.X.10
# net autodiscovery

I’m not sure if the autodiscovery option works or not. If you don’t have a fixed printer IP then perhaps you want to try that?

FWIW sane-find-scanner still doesn’t work even after this fix is applied. The same error window will still be shown by iscan when the printer is turned off.

iscan with GIMP2

Lastly if you’re using GIMP2 then iscan works as a plugin provided you have a link in place in the plug-ins folder:

ln -s /usr/bin/iscan /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/iscan

Alternative scanning options

Before I got iscan working I used Xsane (multi-window), Skanlite, scanimage and AcquireImages with varying degrees of success.

As usual if anything in this post has helped you fix a problem with your own system then please add a comment to make the page more useful to others, thanks.

Updates

January 2017

This method is still working for me. The link for the Epson printer file downloads has changed and in particular the iscan 1.0.4 bundle is the current one. Despite the UK Epson site initially telling me that my printer doesn’t work for Linux and doesn’t have available drivers a little digging leads to this install instruction for “Image Scan” page which some may find useful.

My Kubuntu install gave an error:

(iscan:24091): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “adwaita”

Which was removed by doing sudo apt install gnome-themes-standard.

27 Responses to "Using iscan for linux with a networked Epson"

1 | daibak

March 25th, 2014 at 11:01 pm

It’s not often I discover a gem like this, I was about to give up after searching high and low on the Net for exact iscan message “Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner’s status . OK” So a big thank you, Seiko Epson should highlight this in their otherwise decent Linux driver download pages. My home Wi-Fi inkjet MF printer is an EPSON XP-405.

Following your instructions (except using Geany to edit two config files) iscan or Image Scan! for Linux 2.29.3 ran first go from Crunchbang 11 Run Program dialogue box on a 2008 ASUS EeePC Netbook 1000H. I find iscan scan quality far preferable to generic xsane, and the link already existed in the GIMP 2.8.2 Plug-ins folder so was able to test the GIMP File menu Create > Scanning (iscan)… option too on this EeePC Netbook.

Only issue still is unable to select from the Epson XP-405’s LCD panel to scan to local PC as it cannot find it on network. Similar problem often arose when this same Netbook PC ran default Windows XP but disconnecting the PC and reconnecting the PC refreshed the XP-405 and it could then see the name of the Netbook PC and scanned from then on for the session. EPSON drivers for Linux seem unable to talk to the XP-405 for the scan function in the XP-405 scanner’s firmware, which I find puzzling when this XP-405 scans so well when instructing the XP-405 to scan from this Netbook PC using iscan.

2 | admin

March 26th, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Glad it helped you. Sorry I don’t have any insight WRT the network connection: the only idea I’d have is to make sure that your printer and computer have fixed IP addresses rather than using NAT. That helped me anyway. It’s also possible that something like efw [firewall] is blocking probes from the printer to the local network that would normally allow the printer to find the PC? [I think that’s what you meant, these things are quite hard to put in to words sometimes].

3 | Richard

October 1st, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Thanks man! This solved the issue for me. It didn’t work on autodetect, but it worked on an IP address immediatel. (XP-312 on Mint 17)

4 | Paul

October 28th, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Thanks so much this solved me a problem I couldn’t figure out.

5 | jfreyd

March 6th, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Thanks. This message helped me to make my new Epson WorkForce 2660 to scan using iscan under Ubuntu 14.0.4 LTS.

6 | DanO

March 7th, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Great stuff!

I too had this problem.
It was epkowa.conf file and the net entry.
I decided just to use the DNS entry for the printer that the router had rather than fix an IP address. Both ways work great.

Thanks for the info

7 | surlyc

April 23rd, 2015 at 9:33 pm

I used this to get my scanner working on the net. Thank you. I am embarrassed to say that I read the Iscan documentation afterwards and it tells the whole story (RTFM, eh):

Setting Network Plug-in
1.Connect the scanner to the network and set the IP address.
For information on how to set the IP address, refer to the user
manual shipped with your scanner.
2.Please enter the information on your scanner in /etc/sane.d/
epkowa.conf by using root privileges.
How to enter the information:
net [IP address] [port number]
or
net [ host name] [port number]
Note: Please set [port number] to 1865.
Entering a port number is optional, so you can omit it. However,
you must enter an IP address port number.

All that was necessary was to modify epkowa.conf and all was well.

Kind regards

8 | Adolf Hitler

May 9th, 2015 at 5:06 am

You’re the best man. I love you.

9 | jop

May 30th, 2015 at 11:50 am

You’ re the Man, it works now ! Many thanks from France . 😉

10 | Ross Kitchen

September 26th, 2015 at 10:46 am

Thanks
Got my Epson WF-7610 scan function working with this.

11 | Alessandro

January 13th, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Thank you very much man, your guide helped me to resolve the problem with my Epson WF 4630. It worked for everithing with others software but not the front and back scan.
Iscan wont open…now it does and the scan front+back with iscan works.

12 | Bob

February 3rd, 2016 at 9:09 am

Thanks.
Not that often a correct solution to a problem is found on the internet.
Have that man stuffed and mounted.

13 | sumatrakid

February 23rd, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Only works for me when launching iscan from the command line as root:
$ sudo iscan

14 | James B

April 20th, 2016 at 2:58 am

Thank you very much for this information on getting the epson scanner to work. I had it working in another Linux Mint OS but put in a new SSD drive and had to reinstall the newer version of Linux Mint and it had the problem that you cured for me by using you write up.

Again Thank you very much

James B

15 | PhilippeR

May 24th, 2016 at 11:55 am

Thank you, it works on Ubuntu 15.10. FYI the “net autodiscovery” option does not work for me.

16 | nf1198

June 14th, 2016 at 1:08 am

Thank you! Epson L210 scanner now working in linux.

17 | François

August 3rd, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Thanks !

Works for me (Fedora / Chapeau 23 with epson multifunction px720wd)
(with the last epson scan driver 1.0.1)

18 | sree

November 23rd, 2016 at 12:28 pm

thanks man!! Epson Xp-625 is now working on RHEL 7.2

19 | Sudoman

December 25th, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Well I tried everything for my Epson XP-625 all in one, and at the end of the day what made the scanner work was simply putting the Ip address of the printer in epkowa.conf, without net before and without 1865 after, just plain and simple ip address in epkowa.conf nothing else.

20 | Jess

February 1st, 2017 at 2:18 am

This was the top link when I Googled “epson iscan linux could not send command”. Thank you for the tip. The iscan man page sure didn’t lead me to the correct answer.

21 | Gégé

February 1st, 2017 at 9:59 am

Bravo et merci pour partager ces prĂ©cieuses infos, vous ĂȘtes gĂ©nĂ©reux.
Ma wf7610 fonctionne grace Ă  vous, vous ĂȘtes un gĂ©nie.

Thanks for sharing such valuable infos with us you helped me so much, you’re a real genius man !

All my gratitude to you

22 | Dave Monk

April 12th, 2017 at 11:12 pm

Just found this and on my Ubuntu system, all I had to do was add the net x.x.x.x to the epkowa.conf file and my scanner came up immediately. FWIW, I just had the default install from Epson on my system so there was just the usb and scsi entries listed. I haven’t done anything else, including commenting out all the other devices: just one line in that conf file and mine came alive.

23 | Dave Monk

April 12th, 2017 at 11:14 pm

(PS – I have an Epson WF-3540 and Epson WF-3640)

25 | Andrea

May 27th, 2017 at 6:01 pm

This worked for me, and I’m not even all that good at this Linux malarkey! Thank you very much.

26 | Roger Marcus

May 28th, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Still having problems with epson wf-6590 scanner and iscan:
dll.conf:
# /etc/sane.d/dll.conf — Configuration file for the SANE dynamic backend loader
net
epkowa
epkowa.conf:
# epkowa.conf — sample configuration for the EPKOWA SANE backend
net 192.168.2.108
strace of iscan:
connect(9, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(6566), sin_addr=inet_addr(“192.168.2.108”)}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
(this is some sort of sane port that the printer rejects)
this proves that there is communication between printer and linux:
select(14, [13], NULL, NULL, {0, 300000}) = 1 (in [13], left {0, 194448})
recvfrom(13, “\0\0\204\0\0\0\0\1\0\0\0\3\10_scanner\4_tcp\5local\0\0\f\0\1\0\0\21\224\0\27\24EPSON WF-6590 Series\300\f\vEPSON259793\300\32\0\1\200\1\0\0\0x\0\4\300\250\2l\300+\0!\200\1\0\0\0x\0\10\0\0\0\0\7I\300B\300+\0\20\200\1\0\0\21\224\0\275\ttxtvers=1\27ty=EPSON WF-6590 Series:adminurl=http://EPSON259793.local.:80/PRESENTATION/BONJOUR\tmfg=EPSON\22mdl=WF-6590 Series)UUID=cf”…, 2048, 0, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(5353), sin_addr=inet_addr(“192.168.2.108”)}, [16]) = 315

So I am baffled – something is missing and I still get the “cannot communicate with the scanner” although, there is communication that works. It is as if something else is trying to talk to sane on port 6566 with the printer and the printer refuses that.
If you know what is going on, please let me know – love the clarity of your article.

Comment Form